Monday, February 9, 2009

Times are tough

So as it turns out I was right. The company I work for is closing down 2 departments and laying off over 70 people. I hate being right. But you know the news can't be good when they call a management meeting followed immediately by an all staff meeting. Not fun. The surprising thing is that this has nothing to do with the current state of economy and more to do with the refusal to change about 9 years ago.

Change is good, change provides opportunity to reinvent yourself, to be better than you were before. I feel for everyone that has lost their job but there is something different out there - a forced opportunity is still an opportunity. Good or bad -depends on what you make of it.

This is the best book I've ever read. It's an awesome perspective on change and it completely changed my attitude towards life.

Let's face it. I work in marketing and it's typically the first to go when times are tough. (I don't agree with that at all, but its a topic for another day) For now, I still have my job but I'm not naive enough to consider it secure.

No comments: