Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I'm scared

So here's a real knee slapper... Thanks to some prompting from the girls at work, I've decided to check out the world of internet dating.

(After all, being almost 30 and unmarried in this town means I must be in desperate need of a dude - right?)

I know LOTS of people do it and its become a pretty popular way of meeting new people - especially over the last couple of years. I, however, am not a good candidate for internet dating. I know this because I tried... a few times. The dates have NEVER gone well.

Here's the tale of one date to illustrate my point:

Just under 2 years ago, I had an account on lavalife and had found myself e-chatting to a guy, who's name I no longer remember but lets call him Frank. Frank was from Saskatchewan seemed like a great guy and after just a few emails and a couple phone calls I decided to take him to a football game. At the time the football game seemed like a fabulous idea; we got a game out of the deal and if all else failed there'd be plenty of football action to talk about. BOY was I wrong. The date started off with him giving me really bad directions, as it continued I found out he was agreeing with me about everything. Uhmmm, where'd he leave his personality?? I actually had a bit of fun after I realized this. Overall, it was incredibly painful and after 2 hours when half time finally hit I thanked my bladder for a welcomed break. I went to the washroom and as I'm heading back to the stands, I feel this super strong urge NOT to go back. I think to myself "Leaving would make me a horrible human being, but then again that might be something I'm willing to live with" I call Tara and get her okay and then beat it outta there. PHEW!!!

Afterwards I got an earful from a friend who told me you never do more than coffee for the first date. Which I tried without success.

Being the analytical soul that I am, I've given this a lot of thought. I think that internet dating doesn't work for me because it takes me a long time to warm up to people. It also freaks me out when I feel like someone else has expectations that I'm not ready for and I run... even if I like them! How messed up is that?

If I look back, I tend to fall for people who I've had the opportunity to chat with without a romantic thought of anykind. Those I work with or are unavailable to me in some way are my typical targets.

As I write this, I'm beginning to think I need professional help...

Anyway, the issue is mine and I know this. I'm taking this information and giving the internet one last shot. Plenty of Fish. 3 dates...

wish me luck

5 comments:

Hedgie said...

You might want to pay a visit to Charmaine's blog about internet dating. Granted, she's older than you, but at least it might give you some idea of what's out there. Look through her back threads for the past month or so where she's been reviewing some of her earlier dating disasters.

Good luck and be careful.

Anonymous said...

Meh, don't feel bad. I'm in the same boat as you are, and I'm 34. I haven't tried internet dating yet- all my friends tell me NO!
-, but I'm getting close. I'm looking forward to reading how it goes for you :)

Kat said...

Thanks Hedgie! I'll definately check that out.

And Tim, it's good to know that my inevitable pain will be useful for you. lol!

sarah said...

You are one brave girl...

I'm SO not there yet. People keep telling me to try it, but I'm too scared. If it helps, I can tell you that my roommate met a guy through online dating and they are getting married in August! Just a little optimism there for you. :)

Bronwyn said...

I did it and it worked out for me. Mind you, there were a lot of creepy guys before the good one. And now we're engaged! So, good luck. It really sucks to start it.